Michael D. Templeton
What you should know about me:
I help U.S. and international companies with patent consultancy, IP portfolio building, and patent prosecution. I enjoy partnering with clients to advance IP in a number of industries and have extensive experience in a wide range of technical fields, including lighting systems, sensor systems, wireless communication systems, autonomous vehicles, vehicle safety systems, consumer appliances, medical devices, and surgical instruments.
- Known for taking a creative and optimistic approach when problem-solving
- Former NCAA Mid-Major All-American college swimmer
- Coached a robotics team that went to the World Championships and won a design award
Prior to practicing law, Michael gained industry experience working as an engineer for a vehicle original equipment manufacturer and a tier one automotive supplier. Michael later refined his legal experience while working as an associate with an AmLaw 200 law firm in the Phoenix-Metro Area, as well as with a firm based in Grand Rapids, Michigan.
Michael’s takes an active role at D&M, involving himself with patent consulting, portfolio building, and patent prosecution strategies for our clients. Michael is passionate about pursuing new patent prosecution techniques and using technology to offer the best value to the organizations he represents.
Background & Credentials
- Oakland University (B.S., Mechanical Engineering, 2010)
- Michigan State University (J.D., cum laude 2014)
- U.S. Patent and Trademark Office
- American Bar Association (ABA)
- Michigan Intellectual Property Law Association (MIPLA)
- Original Equipment Suppliers Association (OESA)
- USPTO International Patent Drafting Competition (Coach)
- Michigan State College of Law, Giles Rich Patent Moot Court (Coach)
- VEX Robotics Competition (Coach)
- NCAA Mid-Major All-American (Swimming)
- Giles Rich Patent Moot Court, National Finals
Looking for a change of pace?
D&M is committed to empowering employees with the right training, tools, and resources to reach their highest potential. Explore opportunities for every stage of your career.