Joseph J. Probst
What you should know about me:
I enjoy serving as D&M’s managing principal for our Seattle, WA based office. I advise clients on intellectual property matters with an emphasis on helping inventors secure patents protecting their creative works. I draft and prosecute patent applications primarily in electrical and computer-implemented subjects, but I also have experience in many other technology fields. One…
- Known as the calm and supportive straight-shooter
- Interned at the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit with former Chief Judge Randall R. Rader
Joseph manages global patent portfolios, including invention development, patent preparation, competitive targeting, and portfolio strategy. Joseph provides organizations practical, cost-effective, and business-minded counseling. He offers strategic recommendations providing a realistic assessment of likelihood of success, and his IP insights are based on objective data such as examiner statistics and from the intuition he’s derived from preparing and prosecuting hundreds of patent applications while working with patent examiners on a daily basis.
Joseph brings an understanding of competitor products and market dynamics for the technology at issue. Rather than blindly seeking the broadest possible coverage on the invention as originally conceived, Joseph instead prosecutes patents with an eye toward obtaining coverage on technological subject matter that’s competitively valuable now and in the future. He provides realistic and strategic recommendations to optimize value for each client.
Background & Credentials
- Clemson University (B.S., Bioengineering, magna cum laude, 2009)
- University of Washington (J.D., high honors, 2012)
- Certificate in Machine Learning from Stanford University (2020)
- Washington State
- U.S. Patent and Trademark Office
- Member of Washington State Patent Law Association Mentorship Committee
- Member of Washington State Bar Association IP Section
- Participant in the University of Washington School of Law Mentoring Program
- Order of the Coif
- Washington State Bar Association Intellectual Property Section Scholarship Award Winner
- Former Executive Board Member, University of Washington Moot Court Honor Board
- Patent Drafting for Machine Learning: Claim Strategy, Patent Eligibility, and Disclosure Requirements for the U.S. and Europe, Strafford Publications (March 2021).
- USPTO Report Traces the Rapid Diffusion of Artificial Intelligence Technologies across U.S. Patent Filings, Dority & Manning (Dec. 17, 2020).
- Balancing Patent and Trade Secret Protection for AI-Based Inventions, The Knowledge Group (Dec. 2020).
- USPTO Reports on Public Views of Artificial Intelligence and Intellectual Property Policy, Dority & Manning (Nov. 5, 2020).
- U.S. Patent Issues in Artificial Intelligence, Law Offices of Shiga International Patent Office (Dec. 2019).
- Overview of the Approach to AI in the United States, Artificial Intelligence and Intellectual Property: A Global Perspective, Imperial Hotel Tokyo (Dec. 2019).
- When an Inter Partes Review is Instituted the USPTO is Required to Decide the Patentability of All Claims Challenged By Petitioner, Dority & Manning (May 9, 2018).
- Loaded Question: Examining Loadable Kernel Modules Under the General Public License v2, Washington Journal of Law, Technology, and Arts, 7 Wash. J.L. Tech. & Arts 265 (2012).
News & Events
Patent Drafting for Machine Learning Webinar: Claim Strategy, Patent Eligibility, and Disclosure Requirements for the U.S. and Europe
Live Date: Tuesday, March 2, 2021 from 1:00pm to 2:30pm (ET) Dority & Manning Principal Joseph Probst will be a featured speaker for the upcoming webinar, “Patent Drafting for Machine Learning: Claim Strategy, Patent Eligibility, and Disclosure Requirements for the U.S. and Europe”, facilitated by Strafford. The live panel will discuss different claim styles and …
Live Date: Monday, December 14, 2020 from 12:00pm to 1:30pm (ET) Dority & Manning principal Joseph Probst will be a featured speaker for the upcoming webinar, “Trade Secret Protection for AI: A Comprehensive Guide”, facilitated by The Knowledge Group. The live webinar will explore the balance between patent and trade secret protection for AI-based inventions, …
Dority & Manning, the Southeast’s largest boutique Intellectual Property firm, expands its West Coast footprint. SEATTLE, WASHINGTON (SEPTEMBER 14, 2020) – Dority & Manning celebrates the opening of its Seattle office, located at 600 1st Avenue, Suite 624. The new office will be led by Principal, Joseph Probst. The Firm’s expansion to Seattle reflects the …
Dority & Manning is proud to announce the election of Anand Patel, Rhoades White, Joseph Probst, and Erik Sivertson as Principals of the firm. Anand Patel specializes in strategic patent portfolio management. He has extensive experience in drafting and prosecuting U.S. and international patent applications as well as assisting with patent claim construction for pharmaceutical litigations. …
Dority & Manning is pleased to announce our collaboration with Marks & Clerk in the international seminar, Artificial Intelligence and Intellectual Property: A Global Perspective. The seminar will be held at the Imperial Hotel in Tokyo, Japan on Tuesday, December 3rd. Principal Neil Batavia and Senior Associate Joseph Probst will be presenting “An Overview of …
Dority & Manning is proud to announce the hiring of three attorneys, expanding the firm’s already deep capabilities in the mechanical, electromechanical, bioelectrical, electrical and chemical arts. All three attorneys are registered to practice before the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office and are members of the South Carolina Bar. J. Rhoades White earned a B.S. in …
Looking for a change of pace?
D&M is committed to empowering employees with the right training, tools, and resources to reach their highest potential. Explore opportunities for every stage of your career.