Maegen W. Stokes
- Greenville, SC
- (864) 271-1592
What you should know about me:
My career at Dority & Manning started in 2005 during a cooperative education experience while attending Clemson University. Today, I am a principal at the firm and enjoy working with a talented team of IP professionals focusing on Mechanical and Electromechanical technologies. My background in mechanical engineering inspired a technical focus on renewable energy, aviation, medical devices, and wearable devices.
- Known as the team’s joyful optimist
- Successfully completed 14 marathons
- Designed and built a taillight installation fixture for a large OEM automaker while attending Clemson University
Maegen supports clients with U.S. and international patent procurement and global IP portfolio management in the electromechanical and mechanical arts. She takes a friendly and personable approach to working with clients and provides unique solutions tailored to their ever-changing business goals. Maegen has extensive experience with a variety of technologies including renewable power generation and related control systems, energy storage systems, wearable fitness devices, aircraft engines, medical devices, gaming systems and related software, household appliances, semiconductors, agricultural machinery, and thermal processing chambers.
During and after college, Maegen worked at an engineering design firm on process engineering for industrial facility design. In addition, Maegen worked full-time with an environmental engineering consulting firm during law school. While there, she was involved with environmental engineering projects concerning soil, groundwater, wastewater remediation, and waste-to-energy facilities. She also ensured environmental clients complied with state and federal regulations.
Today, Maegen enjoys working with inventors and in-house counsel to fully grasp their inventions, business goals, and IP philosophies to develop competitive strategies that advance their organizations.
Maegen focuses on the following sectors:
Background & Credentials
- Clemson University (B.S., Mechanical Engineering, cum laude, 2007)
- Charleston School of Law (J.D., cum laude, 2012)
- South Carolina
- U.S. Patent and Trademark Office
- American Intellectual Property Law Association
- Carolina Patent, Trademark, and Copyright Law Association
- Charleston Southern University Board of Visitors
- Charleston County Bar Association
- Pi Tau Sigma (National Mechanical Engineering Honor Society)
- CALI Award Recipient: Legal Research and Writing; Constitutional Law
- Tim F. Williams & Maegen W. Stokes, When Has a Patentee Performed a Reasonable Pre-Suit Investigation Under Rule 11?, Dority & Manning (June, 13, 2018).
- Court Declines to Apply Trademark Aesthetic Functionality Defense to Design Patents, Dority & Manning (March 8, 2018).
News & Events
Dority & Manning Principals to Speak at the Society of Women Engineer’s Women in Industry Day
Join Dority & Manning Principals Allison Ko and Maegen Stokes on Friday, June 18th at the virtual Women in Industry Day, a half-day conference that connects professionals across engineering industries to aspire, advance, and achieve in their personal and professional lives. Allison and Maegen will be speaking on the basics of intellectual property law and …
Maegen W. Stokes and David E. Cromer Elected Principals
Dority & Manning is proud to announce the election of Maegen W. Stokes and David E. Cromer as Principals of the firm. Maegen W. Stokes specializes in strategic patent portfolio management. She has extensive experience in drafting and prosecuting U.S. and international patent applications and partners with large, multi-national clients to offer expert counsel and …
Court Declines to Apply Trademark Aesthetic Functionality Defense to Design Patents
The United States District Court for the Eastern District of Michigan recently held that the concept of aesthetic functionality, which may be used to invalidate a trademark, does not apply to design patents. Auto. Body Parts Ass’n v. Ford Global Techs., LLC, No. 2:15-cv-10137, 2018 U.S. Dist. LEXIS 26290, at *1 (E.D. Mich. Feb. 20, …
Looking for a change of pace?
D&M is committed to empowering employees with the right training, tools, and resources to reach their highest potential. Explore opportunities for every stage of your career.