J. Parks Workman
- Greenville, SC
- (864) 271-1592
What you should know about me:
I am honored to serve as practice group leader for the Electrical Engineering and Computer Software team at D&M. I have been practicing IP law for 14 years and enjoy serving as a business counselor on IP issues for domestic and international clients of all sizes. I enjoy counseling business executives and organization leaders on IP strategy, competitive advantage, and new revenue opportunities. I am fortunate to be able to collaborate with clients in many complex and interesting technologies, including quantum computing, semiconductors, 5G wireless communications and robotics.
- Known as the calm and collected problem solver
- Proud father of twin daughters and marathon runner
- Developed a control algorithm for moving a robotic arm that provided for “soft” logarithmic braking
Parks assists global brands with patent portfolio management, prosecution services, freedom to operate analysis, opinion work, transfer and licensing, IP litigation, and strategic counseling work. His experience also includes filling in-house counsel roles on IP issues for clients who do not have dedicated IP professionals. Parks regularly conducts patent harvesting sessions and portfolio analysis activities to develop patent portfolios aligned with the client’s goals.
Parks’ practice primarily serves the electrical and electromechanical arts, including software, data management, electronics, image processing, electrical power systems, control systems, semiconductor processing, electrical devices, and industrial machinery.
Parks focuses on the following sectors:
Background & Credentials
- Clemson University (B.S., Electrical Engineering, magna cum laude, 2004)
- University of South Carolina (J.D., magna cum laude, 2007)
- South Carolina
- U.S. Patent and Trademark Office
- U.S. District Court for the District of South Carolina
- South Carolina Bar Association
- Defense Research Institute (DRI)
- Carolina Patent, Trademark & Copyright Law Association
- American Bar Association
- Board of External Advocates for the Department of Electrical Engineering and Computer Science for Clemson University
- Legal Elite of the Upstate
- Leadership Greenville (Class 40)
- Law Review, Managing Editor and Editor’s Award
- Order of the Coif
- Order of the Wig and Robe
- Student member of the John Belton O’Neal Inn of Court
- CALI awards in Evidence; Agency, Partnerships and LLCs; and Start Ups and New Ventures
- Tau Beta Pi
- Phi Kappa Phi
- “Combating Threats of Attorney’s Fee Awards in Settlement of Intellectual Property Cases,” Tim F. Williams and J. Parks Workman, Volume 13, Issue 10, DRI, The Business Suit.
- “Patent Litigation: Attacking Claims of Privilege for Communications with Foreign Patent Agents,” Tim F. Williams and J. Parks Workman, Volume 14, Issue 1, DRI, The Business Suit.
- “Federal Circuit Clarifies Injunction Requirements in a Patent Case,” Tim F. Williams and J. Parks Workman, DRI Today, January 5, 2012.
- “The South Carolina Uniform Securities Act of 2005: A Balancing Act Under a New Blue Sky.” 57 S.C.L. Rev. 409 (2006).
Looking for a change of pace?
D&M is committed to empowering employees with the right training, tools, and resources to reach their highest potential. Explore opportunities for every stage of your career.