Erik K. Sivertson
What you should know about me:
I work closely with clients to protect their emerging technologies and product lines. I our client’s business models and technology roadmaps intently to align patent portfolios with their business’ strategic direction. As a Principal of the firm, I am passionate about mentoring and training our new associates, working with our summer associate program, and taking an active role in our DE&I efforts. I believe workplace culture should be the number one priority for any company. I strive to activate that belief every day at D&M.
- Known as the team’s gracious perfectionist
- Says marrying his wife is his proudest accomplishment (she’s totally out of his league)
- Worked on contracts for the Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency before law school
Erik counsels clients on strategic patent portfolio development. He works to align our client’s intellectual property assets with their business and technology goals while strategically positioning their business in the IP landscape of their industries and markets.
Erik connects with clients on a personal level, including their engineers, product managers, counsel, and paralegals to create a fun and rewarding patent experience with minimal interruptions to their core operations. He has more than three years of experience working directly in-house through a secondment.
In addition, Erik has experience managing global patent portfolios for clients within a wide range of industries. He works with U.S. and international clients to offer expert counsel and develop successful patent prosecution strategies to advance their commercial agenda.
Beyond his prosecution work, Erik renders opinions on infringement, non-infringement, and validity and invalidity of patents to determine the strength of various patents and the best possible course of action going forward.
Background & Credentials
- Washington and Lee University (B.S., Physics-Engineering, summa cum laude, 2007)
- The George Washington University Law School (J.D., with honors, 2012)
- South Carolina
- U.S. Patent and Trademark Office
- American Intellectual Property Law Association
- Intellectual Property Owners Association
- George Washington University Law School Thurgood Marshall Scholar
- Phi Beta Kappa Honor Society
- Robert Alexander Scholarship
- Walter LeConte Stevens Scholarship
- Physics-Engineering Department Award and Scholarship
Looking for a change of pace?
D&M is committed to empowering employees with the right training, tools, and resources to reach their highest potential. Explore opportunities for every stage of your career.