Alan R. Marshall
Licensed to practice in:
South Carolina, U.S. Patent and Trademark Office
Representative Practice Areas:
- Managing all aspects of extensive international patent and trademark portfolios for corporate clients and universities.
- Providing opinions on various patent issues, including patent validity, infringement, and right-to-practice issues.
- Alan has been with Dority & Manning since 2004 and is a Principal of the firm.
- Alan concentrates his practice on drafting and prosecuting patent applications in the chemical, electrochemical, and mechanical arts. Alan has particular experience in various industries including aerospace turbomachinery, additive manufacturing, metallurgy and superalloys, ceramic matrix composites, polymer processing and synthesis, nanotechnology, pharmaceutical and genetic biochemistry, semiconductor technologies, and thin film photovoltaic and LED devices.
- Alan has prepared clearance opinions on a variety of proposed new products and prepared non-infringement and invalidity opinions for numerous patents.
- While attending the University of South Carolina, Alan’s work resulted in four publications in leading Chemical Journals for his undergraduate research on organic polymers, specifically, applications involving the use of poly(p-phenyleneethynylene) in light emitting diodes (LEDs).
- Education: University of South Carolina (B.S., Chemistry, magna cum laude, with Honors from the South Carolina Honors College, 2001); University of South Carolina (J.D., cum laude, 2004).
- Admission: U.S. District Court for the District of South Carolina; U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit; U.S. Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit.
- Civic and Community Service: United Ministries (President and Chairman of the Board of Directors); Carolina Patent, Trademark & Copyright Law Association (President, 2012-2013; Board of Directors 2006-2012); Intellectual Property and Unfair Trade Practice Committee for the South Carolina Bar (chair, 2008-2010); American Intellectual Property Law Association; Greenville County Bar Association.
- Achievements and Honors: Legal Elite of the Upstate; Leadership Greenville (Class 39); University of South Carolina Intellectual Property Law Society (President 2003-2004); Southeastern Environmental Law Journal; Phi Beta Kappa; Order of Omega.
- “Synthesis and Characterization of Poly[1,5-(3,7-ditert-butyl)naphtyleneethynylene] by Alkyne Metathesis”, Macromol.Rapid.Commun.,21 493 (2000)
- “Blue Solid-State Photoluminescence and Electroluminescence from Novel Poly(para-phenyleneethynylene) Copolymers”, Chem.Mater,13 2691-2696 (2001)
- “Alkyne-Bridged Polymers as Platform for Novel Macromolecular Materials: Catalytic Hydrogenation of Poly[(p-dialkylphenylene)ethynylene]s”, Macromolecules 34 (14) 4688-4690 (2001)
- “Rod vs Coil: Molecular Weight Comparison of a Poly(dialkyl-p-phenyleneethynylene) with Its Reduced Poly(2,5-dialkyl-p-xylylene)” , Macromolecules, 36 (5), 1424-1425 (2003).