Wesley D. Greenwell
- Greenville, SC
- (864) 271-1592
What you should know about me:
I joined Dority & Manning in 2015 after working for several years in Charlotte as an associate for a Charlotte-based large general practice firm. Prior to law school, I worked as a tire design engineer and performance analyst for a North American tire manufacturer. While obtaining my master of science degree in mechanical engineering from Clemson University, I designed, developed, and constructed a fuel cell/ultracapacitor hybrid test stand, which served as the foundation for numerous experiments and studies in control engineering of hybrid vehicles. These experiences helped broaden my technical expertise, improve my industrial knowledge, and develop a unique skill set that I employ daily to help meet my client’s IP goals.
- Known as a diligent, hard worker committed to the client’s best interests
- Scored a perfect 800 on the math portion of the SAT
- Excels at collaborative problem solving
Wes assists various clients with U.S. and international patent procurement and global IP portfolio management in the electromechanical and mechanical arts, including power generation and control systems, tire technologies, medical treatment devices, automotive components and technology, computing, networking, communication systems, electronic components, light fixtures and lighting systems, handheld power tools, outdoor power products, and consumer products or appliances.
Wes supports clients with a broad range of intellectual property services. A large majority of his work relates to patent application drafting and prosecution to develop strong patent portfolios, both in the U.S. and internationally. Wes also assists with global portfolio management, strategic counseling, patent-related opinions (e.g., including validity, infringement, and right to practice opinions), due diligence investigations, and trademark registration.
When executing these services, Wes enjoys engaging with the client to understand their business and IP goals to facilitate thoughtful, efficient, and targeted solutions for their IP portfolios. He believes frequent communication, collaboration, and trust are crucial to building successful client relationships.
Wes focuses on the following sectors:
Background & Credentials
- Clemson University (B.S., Mechanical Engineering, cum laude, 2006)
- Clemson University (M.S., Mechanical Engineering, cum laude, 2008)
- University of South Carolina School of Law (J.D., 2013)
- South Carolina
- North Carolina
- U.S. Patent and Trademark Office
- Carolina Patent, Trademark & Copyright Law Association
- American Intellectual Property Law Association
- American Bar Association
- Associate Editor in Chief, Volume 64 of South Carolina Law Review
- An Abandoned Office May Constitute a “Regular and Established Place of Business”, Dority & Manning (March 20, 2018).
- State Immunity from Patent Infringement Lawsuits: Inverse Condemnation as an Alternative Remedy, 63 S.C. L. Rev. 975 (2012).
- Predictive Control of Voltage and Current in a Fuel Cell/Ultracapacitor Hybrid, IEEE Transactions on Industrial Electronics (2010).
- Experiments in Predictive Coordination of a Fuel Cell/Ultracapacitor Hybrid, Proceedings of the Dynamic Systems & Control Conference, Michigan (2008).
- A Decentralized Model Predictive Control Approach to Power Management of a Fuel Cell/Ultracapacitor Hybrid, Proceedings of the American Control Conference, New York (2007).
News & Events
An Abandoned Office May Constitute a “Regular and Established Place of Business”
The United States District Court for the Middle District of Florida recently held that venue for a patent infringement lawsuit was proper even though the defendant closed its regular and established place of business in that judicial district “weeks before suit was filed,” reasoning that the delay in filing the complaint was not unreasonable. ParkerVision, …
Wesley D. Greenwell and Jason A. Pittman Elected Principals
Greenville, SC (March 14, 2023) Dority & Manning is proud to announce the election of Wesley D. Greenwell andJason A. Pittman as Principals of the firm. Wes’ practice centers on U.S. and international IP strategies and patent procurement across a wide range of industries, including power generation, transportation and logistics, power tool and outdoor equipment, …
Looking for a change of pace?
D&M is committed to empowering employees with the right training, tools, and resources to reach their highest potential. Explore opportunities for every stage of your career.