Heidi C. Hood
What you should know about me:
I began working with D&M after clerking for a federal magistrate judge and gaining valuable, firsthand experience with the federal court system and intellectual property litigation. One of the best parts of my job is working with inventors to fully understand their inventions while helping them navigate the patent process and secure protection for their ideas.
- Known as a good listener and avid note taker
- Helps make up the 0.17% of the world’s population with red hair and blue eyes
- A named inventor on a patent secured for a tool I helped design during my college years
Heidi focuses her practice on patent prosecution, helping procure U.S. and international patents while assisting clients with global IP portfolio management. Heidi has significant experience working with technologies in the mechanical, electromechanical, and chemical arts. In particular, Heidi has experience with power generation, mechanical & electrical control systems, aeronautical propulsion engines and related control systems, passive electronic components (e.g., ceramic, electrolytic, and electrochemical capacitors), medical devices, and consumer appliances.
Heidi works to clearly communicate and collaborate with clients to build strong IP portfolios and achieve each organization’s business goals.
Background & Credentials
- Clemson University (B.S., Mechanical Engineering, magna cum laude, 2008)
- University of South Carolina School of Law (J.D., cum laude, 2010)
- South Carolina
- U.S. Patent and Trademark Office
- Associate Peer Review Editor, South Carolina Law Review
- Order of the Wig & Robe
- CALI Award Recipient: Criminal Law, Torts II
- Carolina Patent, Trademark, and Copyright Law Association
- Pi Tau Sigma (National Mechanical Engineering Honor Society)
- Tau Beta Pi (National Engineering Honor Society)
- Legal Elite of the Upstate
News & Events
For Venue Purposes in Patent Lawsuits, Unincorporated Entities May Reside in Their State of Organization
Summary: For purposes of the patent venue statute, district courts are likely to find an unincorporated entity resides in the state under whose laws the entity is organized, with the entity’s principal place of business establishing the particular judicial district in which the entity resides if the state has more than one judicial district. Parties …
Dority & Manning is proud to announce that Heidi C. Hood has joined the firm. Heidi’s skills and experience expand the firm’s capabilities in the mechanical and electromechanical arts. Heidi is registered to practice before the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office and is a member of the South Carolina Bar. Heidi earned a B.S. in …
Looking for a change of pace?
D&M is committed to empowering employees with the right training, tools, and resources to reach their highest potential. Explore opportunities for every stage of your career.