Anand K. Patel
What you should know about me:
I have been at Dority & Manning since 2012 and proudly serve as the firm’s DE&I Chair where, with the help of my colleagues, I strive to develop exceptional relationships and foster an environment where every individual is equally accepted, valued, and empowered.
- Known as a problem solver who is always finding creative ways to maximize efficiencies
- Proud winner of a toothpick bridge-building contest
- Created multi-functional materials from silk fibroin with potential uses in outer space for gas separation or in tissue scaffolds for biomedical applications
Anand’s career began with aspirations of going into research and development after gaining experience with catalysis and developing active ingredients in the pharmaceutical industry. After interacting with his graduate school tech transfer office, he became intrigued by the intersection of science, law, and business. These experiences led Anand to become an intellectual property attorney where he gets to work at the forefront of innovation.
Anand conducts risk assessments on the commercialization of new technologies and the acquisition of assets, including intellectual property portfolios and companies. Anand also manages global intellectual property portfolios for a variety of clients. He takes the time to learn about each organization’s technologies while providing guidance tailored to their overall business strategy.
Background & Credentials
- Clemson University (B.S., Chemical Engineering, Minor – Chemistry, magna cum laude, 2004)
- North Carolina State University (M.S., Chemical Engineering, 2006)
- North Carolina State University (Ph.D. Candidate, 2006-2012)
- University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill (J.D., 2012)
- South Carolina
- U.S. Patent and Trademark Office
- Vice-President, Carolina Patent, Trademark & Copyright Law Association
- American Bar Association
- Board Member, Ronald McDonald House Charities of the Carolinas
- Former President, Red Shoe Society Benefitting the Ronald McDonald House Charities of the Carolinas.
- Managing Editor, North Carolina Journal of Law & Technology
- President, Carolina Intellectual Property Law Association
- Chapter President, Tau Beta Pi (National Engineering Honor Society)
- Design-Around to Patented Technology Requiring Several Months for Production May Not Qualify as an Available Noninfringing Alternative in a Patent Infringement Damages Determination, Dority & Manning (June 12, 2019)
- Aberg, C.M., Patel, A.K., Gil, E.-S, and R.J. Spontak, Amorphous Silk Fibroin Membranes for Separation of CO2, NASA Tech Briefs, May 2009.
Looking for a change of pace?
D&M is committed to empowering employees with the right training, tools, and resources to reach their highest potential. Explore opportunities for every stage of your career.