- Education: Clemson University (B.S., Electrical Engineering, cum laude, 1979); George Washington University (J.D., 1983).
- Admission: U.S. District Courts of South Carolina and the District of Columbia; U.S. Courts of Appeal for the Federal Circuit, 1st Circuit, Fourth Circuit and Fifth Circuit; and U.S. Court of Federal Claims.
- Civic and Community Service: Carolina Patent, Trademark & Copyright Law Association (Former President); American Intellectual Property Law Association; International Trademark Association; Board Member and Officer of AID Upstate; Board Member for Lutheran Homes of South Carolina Foundation; Board Member for TLC Foundation; Former Board Member & Chair for Lutheran Homes of South Carolina.
- Honors: AV Rating by Martindale-Hubbell; Giles Rich Intellectual Property Moot Court Champion; Eta Kappa Nu; Leadership Greenville (Class XXV).
- Publications: Richard has co-authored four articles appearing in the South Carolina Lawyer Magazine concerning Developments in Software and Business Method Patents, The Digital Millennium Copyright Act, E-Commerce Patents, and Patent Issues generally.
CV, BV and AV are registered certification marks of Reed Elsevier Properties Inc., used in accordance with the Martindale-Hubbell certification procedures, standards and policies. Martindale-Hubbell is the facilitator of a peer review rating process. Ratings reflect the confidential opinions of members of the Bar and the Judiciary. Martindale-Hubbell Ratings fall into two categories – legal ability and general ethical standards.