Richard M. Moose
What you should know about me:
Prior to joining D&M in it’s first year as a firm, I worked as a U.S. patent examiner and at a D.C. patent boutique firm. As a current Principal of the firm, I have more than 40 years of experience in the IP field. My wide-ranging experience includes litigation, prosecution, counseling, opinion work, and strategic…
- Known as the firm historian (lots of great stories over the years)
- Was a drum major and pep band student director at Clemson University
- Giles Sutherland Rich Moot Court (IP) school champion at George Washington University Law School
Richard’s patent practice focuses on technologies such as electrical, electro-mechanical and mechanical art areas, including electrical systems, electronics, software and medical fields.
Richard’s experience spans all phases of litigation and counseling for patent, trademark and copyright matters including offensive and defensive positions, and including additional counseling areas such as licensing, negotiating, consultant and employee agreements, trade secret protection, and opinions, such as drafting infringement/non-infringement opinions, drafting validity analysis of patents, and rendering patentability opinions. Richard has extensive trademark experience, including involvement with more than 800 registration matters and over 150 TTAB matters before the USPTO.
Background & Credentials
- Clemson University (B.S., Electrical Engineering, cum laude, 1979)
- George Washington University (J.D., 1983)
- South Carolina
- District of Columbia
- U.S. Patent and Trademark Office
- U.S. District Courts of South Carolina and the District of Columbia
- U.S. Courts of Appeal for the Federal Circuit, First Circuit, Fourth Circuit and Fifth Circuit
- U.S. Court of Federal Claims
- Carolina Patent, Trademark & Copyright Law Association (Former President)
- American Intellectual Property Law Association
- International Trademark Association
- Board Member and Chair of AID Upstate
- Board Member and Chair for TLC Foundation
- Board Member & former Chair for Lutheran Homes of South Carolina
- AV Rating by Martindale-Hubbell
- Giles Rich Intellectual Property Moot Court Champion
- Eta Kappa Nu
- Leadership Greenville (Class XXV)
- Richard has co-authored four articles appearing in the South Carolina Lawyer Magazine concerning Developments in Software and Business Method Patents, The Digital Millennium Copyright Act, E-Commerce Patents, and Patent Issues generally.
Looking for a change of pace?
D&M is committed to empowering employees with the right training, tools, and resources to reach their highest potential. Explore opportunities for every stage of your career.