Allison L. Ko
What you should know about me:
I am proud to lead D&M’s Chemical and Life Sciences Group. My background in biomedical engineering inspired a technical focus on medical devices, wearables, surgical and infection prevention products, drug delivery systems, pharmaceuticals, and regenerative medicine. The Chemical & Life Sciences group is a highly productive team of professionals who provide clients with a diverse knowledge base and unique IP strategies that advance their intellectual property portfolios.
- Known for her willingness to help out on any task
- Is a mirror image identical twin
- Helped grow bladders from patients’ own cells that were successfully implanted back into the patients to treat spina bifida or spinal cord injury
From start-ups and universities to Fortune 100 corporations, Allison assists clients in managing their intellectual property portfolios in an efficient but thoughtful manner, taking into account the big picture of their business.
Allison and her team are an integral part of each client’s team rather than acting as counsel who merely advise from the outside looking in. Her team fosters an environment of communication and collaboration to effectively achieve each client’s goals.
In addition to overseeing all aspects of international patent portfolios for corporate clients and universities, Allison also manages large trademark portfolios, prepares clearance opinions, and participates in IP due diligence projects.
Allison focuses on the following sectors:
Background & Credentials
- Virginia Commonwealth University (B.S., Biomedical Engineering, magna cum laude, 2002)
- Virginia Commonwealth University (M.S., Biomedical Engineering, 2005)
- Wake Forest University (J.D., 2011)
- South Carolina
- U.S. Patent and Trademark Office
- Carolina Patent, Trademark & Copyright Law Association
- American Intellectual Property Law Association
- American Bar Association
- Wake Forest University School of Law Young Alumni Board
- Junior League of Greenville
- Meals on Wheels
- Notes and Comments Editor, Journal of Business and Intellectual Property Law
- Moot Court Board
- Tau Beta Pi (National Engineering Honor Society)
- Alpha Eta Mu Beta (National Biomedical Engineering Honor Society)
- New York State Bar Association Albert S. Pergam International Law Writing Competition Winner
- CALI Book Awards in Legal Research & Writing I, Decedents’ Estates & Trusts, Business Drafting, Advanced Legal Research
- Bruce AT, Sangha N, Richmond A, Johnson, Jones S, Spencer T, Ludlow JW, “Use of Iodixanol Self-Generated Density Gradients to Enrich for Viable Urothelial Cells from Nonneurogenic and Neurogenic Bladder Tissue.” Tissue Eng Part C: Methods 16(1):33-40 (February 2010).
- Allison Leigh Richmond, “Scrutinizing the Shipwreck Salvage Standard: Should a Salvor Be Rewarded for Locating Historic Treasure?”, 23 N.Y. Int’l L. Rev. 109 (2010).
- “How Can You Protect Your Invention Idea? A Primer on Patent Applications” Retina Times, Issue 84, Volume 38, Number 2, Summer 2020.
News & Events
Join Dority & Manning Principals Allison Ko and Maegen Stokes on Friday, June 18th at the virtual Women in Industry Day, a half-day conference that connects professionals across engineering industries to aspire, advance, and achieve in their personal and professional lives. Allison and Maegen will be speaking on the basics of intellectual property law and …
Dority & Manning is proud to announce the election of Allison L. Richmond and Seth E. Jones as Principals of the firm. Allison and Seth have been practicing intellectual property law with Dority & Manning since 2011. Seth specializes in strategic patent portfolio management and has extensive experience in drafting and prosecuting both U.S. and …
D&M Principal Allison Ko will join other industry leaders and life science professionals at SCBIO’s Mid-Year Forum 2022 – Thriving Through Change. Don’t miss Allison and fellow panelists for a discussion on ‘Protecting your IP.’ For more information, please visit www.scbio.org September 14, 2022 Columbia Convention Center 1101 Lincoln St Columbia, SC 29201, USA About …
Looking for a change of pace?
D&M is committed to empowering employees with the right training, tools, and resources to reach their highest potential. Explore opportunities for every stage of your career.