James I. Burns, III
Licensed to practice in:
South Carolina, North Carolina, U.S. Patent and Trademark Office
Representative Practice Areas:
- Jay drafts and prosecutes patent applications in the thermal, mechanical, aeromechanical and electromechanical arts.
- Patent Engineer: Jay has extensive experience working directly with inventors to support IP activities, prioritizing IP development of Energy critical innovations, and providing assistance in the analysis of prior art for Right to Practice opinions. He is skilled at conducting novelty and clearance searches and performing patent claim analysis for patent infringement issues.
- Design/Development Engineer: Jay has multiple years of hands-on research & development and mechanical design experience in the Telecommunications and Industrial Gas Turbine industries. His design experience includes electronics packaging, injection molded plastics, mechanical PCB layout, RF and EMI shielding, electromechanical connector design, various manufacturing and assembly processes and Dry Low Nox. (DLN) Combustor design. In addition, Jay is well-versed in gas turbine and wind technologies at both the system and component levels.
- Commercial Contracts: Jay has managed multi-million dollar supply contracts with commercial and military aircraft manufacturers. He has managed supplier risk by utilizing knowledge of the UCC and Common Law to analyze, negotiate and draft terms and conditions for global supply contracts. He is proficient at negotiating, drafting and analyzing commercial contracts with special focus on Intellectual Property Rights, Non-disclosure and Proprietary Information Agreements.
- Education: Clemson University (B.S., Mechanical Engineering); Campbell University, Norman Adrian Wiggins School of Law (J.D. 2007); Sonar Technician Certification, U.S. Navy Anti-Submarine Warfare School, San Diego, California; Basic Electricity & Electronics Certification, U.S. Navy.
- Civic and Community Service: North Carolina Bar Association, American Intellectual Property Law Association, Carolina Patent, Trademark & Copyright Law Association, American Society of Mechanical Engineers.
- Honors: Book Awards Contract Drafting, Entertainment Law; Certified Six Sigma Green Belt DMAIC & DFSS; Navy Achievement Medal; Navy Good Conduct Medal; Gulf War Reserves Medal.
- U.S. Navy Reserve, over 10 years active membership.
- Amphibious Construction Battalion, Engineering Aide (Seabees): Responsible for drafting construction drawings, surveying building sites, solving engineering calculations and performing concrete, asphalt and soil analysis.
- Sonar Technician (Surface): Duties included the operation and maintenance of surface sonar equipment.